Saturday, April 7, 2007

After Going Down the Stairs

I know you have been imagining the wildest stuff about my basement and, sorry to say, it is all true. The following is not for the faint of heart.


This is a piece of fabric I've been doing some embroidery on, but haven't been happy with the results. So, when I went Down the Stairs to iron my Easter dress, I started digging through piles because I really didn't want to iron either the dress or the summer pants that have been waiting to be ironed, well, since summer.


Once you go Down the Stairs, you see this:

And you don't know which way to turn. Nothing new, I assure you. (Notice the well-placed piece of exercise equipment hiding under stuff.)

So I dug around for hidden treasure and came up with several other pieces of black fabric that had discharged to an extremely light goldish color. (The actual color is not as rich as in the following picture.) I thought they might work well together. Then I started ironing and fusing. No, not my Easter dress. That was well out of the way, although the summer pants were dangerously close at hand.

I won't show you my ironing board where I was working. Yet. I think you need some time to recover. But you should know that no summer pants were harmed in the making of this piece.


2 comments:

Rayna said...

Rachel!! That's my black fabric with the gold discharged irons that I've been looking for all over the place. I swear. Did I give it to you in a moment of insanity?? I love the face. And your basement looks wonderful, just as I remember it. Can I come on a treasure hunt someday?

Angelika Westermann said...

I suppose one could start a scientific study on the relationshiop between creativity and chaos in the basement. Let me assure you, your basement is no way as bad as mine! And I really prefer fusing to ironing whatever, too. Should we start a club?