Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Old Fashioned Tweets

This post has been delayed more than I would like because I've been working on a book! But more about that another time.

Earlier in the spring--if we actually had a spring here in NJ, and that's questionable--I was admiring my newish hedge of skip laurels in bloom.

I noticed a nest on one of our fence posts. Not a great spot, thought I, so I tried my best to keep an eye on it. First it was empty.

Then there were two eggs.


The next day there were three.

And the next day there were four.

Things were getting crowded. But then several days later, mother robin had done her job of protecting, and four little hatchlings appeared.

They grew.

And grew.

And grew.

And grew.


And grew.

Until they were ready to leave the nest. (What is interesting about the following picture is that the baby robin had been sitting on the back stoop next to my gormless shih-tzu for at least 10 minutes. I was inside, so the time is approximate. The robin seemed frozen, and the dog completely clueless, although he does like to stargaze, even in the daytime. Too bad I couldn't get that picture!) 

And now the nest is empty.

Another robin has now built a nest on top of the floodlight fixture over the garage doors. More tweets soon to come.

Rachel







No comments: